Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pemberton!

Where do I even begin...

This past weekend was the first ever Pemberton Festival which boasted some big names like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, NIN, Jay-Z, Death Cab for Cutie and Coldplay. Actually the entire roster was impressive and the backdrop (Pemberton) was absolutely breath taking. My only complaint was that with 4 stages all on the go, I often had to choose between acts I wanted to see.

This blog is supposed to be about performers that are not "mainstream" and there were plenty of those at Pemberton... in fact they had an entire stage dedicated to local artists. I, however, didn't make it there. The highlights were abundant and different for everyone, as the line-up was diverse enough to suit a multitude of musical tastes.

One of the lesser knowns I managed to catch was Matisyahu who is undoubtably the most original act I've seen in a while, with his delightful brand of jewish reggae hip-hop - complete with some pretty decent beat boxing. The sound is nothing compared to the live show which really can't be described, except to say that the boy can move as fast as he can sing.

The video I found is from an appearance on Letterman and you can't really move around all that much when the TV cameras are on, but the sound is good.


Just a note to let you know that I'm going on a holiday of sorts so it'll be a week or so before I see another show. Until then...

No comments: