Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An Elvis Costello Orgasm


Elvis Costello changed my life. Before the show, Sunday night at the Whistler Music Festival, I knew who Elvis Costello was, but couldn't name you a single song. Then he stepped on stage...

Okay, so saying the show was life changing, is dramatic, but true. Before I was merely curious, and now... Now, to say I'm a fan is a bit of an understatement.

After Broken Social Scene had wrapped up and the crowds made their way from the front of the stage to the beer garden, I decided that I was going to grab one of those spots right up front. BEST idea I had all weekend!! When Elvis Costello stepped on stage and started playing, the fresh mountain air turned electric and a force beyond my control turned the corners of my mouth up into this wide toothy grin. I inexplicably stayed this way for the next hour and a half.

Songs energetically came one after the other, the entire performance felt damn good. Elvis is an incredibly gifted singer, songwriter and he delivered those complicated creations with an infectious over confidence. His played his guitar like it was an extenstion of himself... sexually charged and in complete control of every note and every squeal.

At one point he did a version of "Watching the Detectives" that was so incredible, I will call it the greatest single moment I have ever experienced in music. I wish I could share but it's not to be found. The set flew by and when it was over, disappointment set in. I want more!

It's not enough for me to say "I'm an Elvis Costello fan". For the first time in my life, I am on the verge on quitting my full-time job and becoming one of those people that follow artists from show to show... I won't because I have no idea how people do that - but I if I ever figure it out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

rent a bus. and get your bus-driving license. then pass yourself off as a roadie.

either that or, every time he plays a block of shows, choose one or two you'd like to see, anywhere in the world he might be, and turn it into your vacation. travelling and concerts go together like peas and carrots.

sarah said...

Does he still play "Radio, Radio"? If you haven't seen it before, try to find a clip of him playing it on SNL back in the day. It got him banned from the show for years! Amazing.