Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Open Mic is Like a Box of Chocolates

One of my favorite little coffee shops, the Wired Monk on 4th and Trafalgar, has a couple really decent open mic nights each week. If you've never been to an open mic night, the concept is simple - show up, put your name on a list and you can perform 3 songs. No questions asked. As you can imagine, you never really know what you're going to get with the open mic and last night was no exception. I'll be honest, I had moments of utter discomfort as I watched performers struggle through their material missing notes, chords and sometimes the entire concept of melody with orginal compositions that were... well, orginal.

We'd been there for about an hour when to be quite honest I was about to leave. The last group had completely butchered "BirdDog" by the Everly Brothers, one my one of my all time favorites - I have about 30 of them. That was when Kyla Rawlins took the mic. She opened her mouth and I thought WOW, those are some powerful vocals. She mixed jazz, r&b and opera vocal styles with a hint (at times) of what I would call east coast country. Regardless, out came a sound that can't quite be classified except as polished, controlled and delightful. Clearly the highlight of the night. Kyla has a CD coming out soon and I'll keep you posted in the meantime check out her webpage at http://onlinerock.com/musicians/kylarawlins/music.shtml

I'll leave you with some BirdDog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i want a pink cardi and ratty old sneakers now. great night. collective soul was better, write about THEM! write about your first show ever at the commodore!