Sunday, July 13, 2008

Flat Top Joint

Earlier this week I was a little bummed as most of my friends had tickets to see the legendary Stevie Wonder at GM Place and I ... well I did not. I had conceded to the fact that I was probably just going to spend the evening feeling sorry for myself when I picked up a copy of Friday's Province. Thanks to Stuart Derdeyn and his list of "Great Things to Do - Weekend" I discovered one of the best events I've been to all year... They called it "BOP" a 50's themed night, featuring four great Rockabilly acts including L.A's Pep Torres, The Roy Kay Trio out of Seattle and two local acts, The Still Creek Brothers and The Roadhouse Juice Daddies.

I walked into the Fairview Pub on Broadway at about 9:15, and it was like I'd walked onto the set of "Happy Days" complete with beehives and flat top haircuts. Add in some poodle skirts, tight jeans and the sounds made famous by artists like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and Bill Haley and you couldn't help but "bop" along.

I was impressed by the Still Creek Brothers. Not only did they look the part but their duoing vocals added a depth and dimension that the other bands lacked.

The band I was looking forward to the most, did not disappoint... The Roy Kay Trio was fabulous even with borrowed instruments. They did a great cover of "Cadillac in Model A" orginally done by Rockabilly pioneers of the 30s and 40s - Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.

The good news is the Fairview Pub on (898 W. Broadway) has a night they call Rockabilly Roundup each month. I'll definately be back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

live Rockabilly and showing off your finest threads? thanks for mentioning that the Fairview has monthly night for this. and keep the blog entries coming!

*Emily*