Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grateful for Whatever Breaks the Silence...

At last my dry spell is over!!! Sunday night Jim Cuddy played a corporate date in Saskatoon, and, lucky me, I was in attendance. It had been waaay too long!

I'm seriously going to have to find a solution to the lack of live music in this small town I now call home, but that's a rant for another day.

I've seen Jim Cuddy on stage a total of 4 times in his career. The first time, was coincidently my first live show ever. He performed along with the rest of Blue Rodeo at the Salmon Valley Music Festival. I was 16 years old. I'd like to say that seeing them live was an incredible first experience and I've been a big fan ever since, but I was 16 and they were Blue Rodeo... nuff said.

In fact, the only reason I've seen Jim Cuddy perform as many times as I have has more to do with it being part of my past life in radio than it does choice. He puts on a great live show, it's only about 1000 times better than on record ... but honestly I'd never pay for a ticket.

I'm not going to lie, it's hard to tell one Jim Cuddy song from the next but if you look a little deeper (and who really wants to) his songwriting is artistic and deep without being too abstract.

Pull Me Through, is new and probably the best record of Jim's solo career. It's about losing your life partner after years and years together. It's emotional. It's brilliant!

Outside I hear voices
Underneath the moon
And I'm grateful for whatever breaks
The silence in this room
Time won't let me go
And every night I know

That you could pull me through
You could always pull me through
Even when I'm lying here
Drowning in my blues
You take the sting out of the rain
And bring the sun back up again
Darling you could always pull me through


Like most Jim Cuddy stuff, the recorded version doesn't hold a candle to the live performance, but I must share anyway...

No comments: